A Texas judge has ordered conspiracy theorist Alex Jones to pay 100,000 United States dollars (£75,000) in another court setback over the Infowars host using his show to promote falsehoods that the 2012 Sandy Hook school massacre was a hoax.
The lawsuit arises out of claims Jones made on air that the December 14, 2012 shooting in Newtown, Connecticut at Sandy Hook Elementary was a staged hoax.
On Dec. 20, Travis County Judge Scott Jenkins granted a motion for sanctions and legal expenses against Jones and InfoWars, ordering them to pay $65,825 for ignoring a court order about providing documents and witnesses.
Added to an earlier October order against InfoWars, Jones and his outlet have been ordered to pay $126,023.80 over the case, even before it reaches trial.
Heslin's 6-year-old son Jesse Lewis was killed in the shootings at Sandy Hook Elementary in Newtown, Connecticut on December 14, 2012. That same day, Jenkins also ordered Jones to cover $34,323 in attorney fees for Heslin.
As a result Judge Jenkins said the defense's failure to cooperate "should be treated as contempt of court".
One of Heslin's attorneys, Mark Bankston, said it was "hardly a surprise that someone like Alex Jones would soon find himself in contempt of court, but now he is learning there are severe consequences to his utter disrespect for this process". Since then, Jones has acknowledged the shooting was indeed real and blamed his comments on a "form of psychosis," according to a deposition he gave for a different defamation suit.
© Provided by The Daily Beast Drew Angerer/Getty Images This isn't the first time the Heslin lawsuit has embarrassed Jones and InfoWars.
Robbie Parker, whose six-year-old daughter Emilie is part of a lawsuit against Jones after his family allegedly received harassment and letters from other conspiracy theorists.
In June, the father of six-year-old Noah Pozner, one of the Sandy Hook victims, won a defamation lawsuit against the authors of a book that claimed the shooting never happened.
In the case against Jones, the families of eight victims and a first responder say they've been subjected to harassment and death threats from his followers.
In April 2018, Heslin sued Jones and InfoWars for defamation.