Oscars will have no host again this year

The Oscars to Go Without a Host for a Second Consecutive Year

No host again for next month's Oscars

"Together with the academy we have decided there will be no traditional host again this year, repeating what worked for us last year", Burke told reporters at ABC's presentations for the Television Critics Assn. conference in Pasadena.

Last year's Oscars, which drew just under 30 million viewers, saw a slight rise in the ratings from 2018, but still garnered the second smallest audience ever for an Academy Awards telecast.

The controversy around the 2019 Academy Awards host threatened to overshadow the actual films. Ratings for the Oscars broadcast rose a bit last year for the hostless show, and ABC announced Wednesday that there will be no emcee this year either. The telecast reached 29.6 million viewers, up from 26.5 million the year before (though still down from the 33-40 million the Oscars were routinely drawing in the years prior).

This isn't the first time the show has gone on without a host.

"Together with the Academy, we have decided there will be no traditional host, repeating for us what worked past year", ABC entertainment president Karey Burke told a television summit near Los Angeles, according to showbiz website Deadline Hollywood.

The 92nd Academy Awards will air live from Los Angeles' Dolby Theatre on February 9.

Latest News