The man's wife is considered "presumptive-confirmed" until her results from the national lab are completed.
Over the weekend, Sunnybrook confirmed that the first coronavirus patient in Ontario had recently travelled to Wuhan.
Officials described the man's illness as "mild" and said he was in stable condition, showing early signs of improvement. "Given the fact that she has been in self-isolation, the risk to Ontarians remains low". However, Ontario Health Minister Christine Elliott said in a statement that the province's testing facilities reacted 36 to 48 hours ahead of Winnipeg, which may explain the delay in the double-confirmation.
Health officials have confirmed the first presumptive case of the new coronavirus in British Columbia.
There are 19 other cases under investigation, and another 15 have so far been classified as negative.
Apart from working with health unit and the city on a coordinated approach to the threat, "we are also actively screening patients who come to the hospital for fever, acute respiratory illness and pneumonia, as well as for any relevant exposure or travel history", the hospital said.
He said that given patterns emerging overseas, it is unlikely all 19 people under observation will be medically cleared. "We are prepared to identify cases and to respond to protect the health of Canadians".
But Dr. Yaffe was more optimistic, saying it could be possible all of them would be cleared. She has been in self-isolation and is being monitored by health officials.
Ontario health authorities report a second alleged case of the new coronavirus.
The outbreak prompted officials to cancel Lunar New Year celebrations across China, and quarantine a number of cities within Hubei province, including Wuhan.
But she said passengers who were on that flight, or others from China this week, and are not suffering any symptoms, should not panic.
But Canada's chief public health officer stressed that the risk of future infection is low, and public health protocols are working.
China is battling a "demon" virus that has so far killed more than 100 people, President Xi Jinping said Tuesday, as nations readied planes to airlift foreigners trapped at the epicentre of the outbreak. SARS infected more than 8,000 people and killed almost 800, including 44 Canadians.
The outbreak of Coronavirus in the city of Wuhan has killed as many as 80 people in China. "Nevertheless it would not be unexpected that there will be more cases imported into Canada in the near-term given global travel patterns".
There are also no plans at the moment to restrict incoming flights from China, Williams said, adding that Canadian officials are taking direction from the World Health Organization and other experts.
"Our front-line health-care workers are the best in the world and have procedures in place to keep people safe", Tory said.