Travel bans in China and the surrounding region have severely affected Hong Kong Airlines' capacity over the past few weeks, and it looks like the bans won't be lifted for at least the next month.
Cabinet ministers revealed the quarantine plans only six hours before the new policy took effect.
"If they can not arrange accommodation, they will be taken to the temporary facilities prepared by the government", Health Secretary Sophia Chan said.
Air China also said it is temporarily suspending its flight operations on the Beijing-Mumbai-Beijing route from February 5."The above suspension of services will be till the end of March until we resume services in the summer schedule".
Fox News Flash top headlines for February 5 are here.
"The problem of supply shortages does not exist", said Chief Administrative Secretary Matthew Cheung. "The public need not worry", it said.
Tang said that Cathay was experiencing "one of the most hard Chinese New Year holidays we have ever had" because of the outbreak.
The latest figures from China show there are more than 24,300 people infected in the country. However, only 315 infections have been reported outside of mainland China.
Several worldwide airlines, including Air India and IndiGo, have cancelled flights to China over fears of the virus spreading across the world, a move which Beijing described was against the WHO guidelines. This follows President Trump's issuing of new travel restrictions last week that bar entry to the country to anyone who's been in China within the last two weeks.
"Who would want to enter Hong Kong from the mainland and be quarantined for as long as 14 days?"
Hundreds of medical staff in Hong Kong walked off the job on Monday, demanding that the semi-autonomous territory completely seal its border with mainland China to stop the spread of the virus, which has claimed almost 500 lives worldwide.
On Friday, hundreds of union members occupied the offices of the Hospital Authority.
The union has vowed to continue the strike if their demands are not met.