Reports of missing persons have increased sixfold in the past 25 years, from roughly 150,000 in 1980 to about 900,000 this year.
An astounding 2,300 Americans are reported missing every day, including both adults and children.
The federal government counted 840,279 missing persons cases in 2001. All but about 50,000 were juveniles, classified as anyone younger than 18.
The prevalence of child sexual abuse is difficult to determine because it is often not reported. Experts agree that the incidences are far greater than what is reported to authorities.
According to the Crimes Against Children Research Center:
- 1 in 5 girls and 1 in 20 boys is a victim of child sexual abuse
- Self-report studies show that 20% of adult females and 5-10% of adult males recall a childhood sexual assault or sexual abuse incident
- During a one-year period in the U.S., 16% of youth ages 14 to 17 had been sexually victimized
- Over the course of their lifetime, 28% of U.S. youth ages 14 to 17 had been sexually victimized
A new report looking into the New Orleans Police Department found officers charged with investigating sex crimes failed to pursue 86 percent of reported cases.
Prepared by the city’s inspector general, Edouard R. Quatrevaux, the report found that 840 of 1,290 reported sex crime cases where shelved by New Orleans police detectives from 2011 to 2013.
The report also found that of the 450 cases that were investigated, no documentation outside of an initial report was found for 271 of them. The report describes how victims’ charges of sexual assault were ignored, referrals from medical personnel were dismissed, and evidence was not processed.
In some cases the detective would mark down in a report that evidence had been sent to the state laboratory, though no records could be found that the laboratory received anything.
In one case, a 2-year-old was brought to the emergency room on suspicion of having been the victim of a sexual assault and was found to have a sexually transmitted disease. The detective did no follow-up and closed the case.
In another, a nurse collected DNA evidence from a victim in a rape kit, but the detective apparently never submitted the kit for testing. In a log book, the detective explained that the kit was never submitted “because the sex was consensual.” That same detective, the report said, told at least three different people that he or she “did not believe that simple rape should be a crime.”
These findings are not new to the New Orleans police force. In 2010 and 2011, the Department of Justice found that the department routinely discouraged sexual assault victims from pursuing prosecution and that reclassifying rapes as miscellaneous charges was so common that it had the effect of “shutting down investigation for a significant proportion of possible sex crimes.”
Inspector General Quatrevaux said that the report, released on Wednesday, arose from a random audit of police cases that his office conducted earlier this year which found that rape was routinely classified as another, lesser crime by the department and that detectives had even backdated reports to make it appear that they had performed necessary work.
The report primarily focused on five detectives within the special victims section; there are typically 16 detectives in the section, with eight or nine dedicated to investigating sex crimes. Record-keeping was so meager in a large majority of their cases that “no evaluation of their police work was possible.”
Out of 119 cases that were assigned to one of the detectives, only 17 were found to have any records beyond an initial report. Another detective was assigned 40 cases and produced supplementary reports in only six of them.
New Orleans Police Superintendent Michael S. Harrison said the unidentified detectives in the report have been transferred from the special victims section, as had some of their supervisors.
The Police Department’s public integrity bureau, which worked with the inspector general’s office in preparing the report, is now investigating the detectives, who could potentially face criminal charges. The department is also conducting a review of all the cases the detectives handled in the special victims section.
“As the chief of police, I am deeply disturbed by the allegations in this report,” Superintendent Harrison said.
Meanwhile in Scotland, two leading charities say they have spoken to victims of ritual abuse including rape and murder stretching back decades.
“In the worst cases [people] have been forced to watch the making of snuff movies,” said Kate Short, founder of Kilmarnock-based childhood abuse charity, Break the Silence. “It’s the extreme, barbaric type of terror that can lead to serious personal disorder.”
Kate also said, often brothers and sisters are made to have sex with each other, and that animals are also involved.
She added: “This is something that has been going on forever and I can’t see it ever stopping.”
The claims were reported by the Scottish Sunday Express.
Scotland is the only part of the UK which doesn’t currently have an investigation into historic child sexual abuse.
Another leading charity, Dundee-based Izzy’s Promise, also backed the claims.
Project co-ordinator Joseph Lumbasi said: “Eighty per cent of people who contact us are brought up right here in Scotland. Children are born that are never registered. There is pornography, sick films. Horrific things are happening and nobody is getting caught.”
The ministerial department of the Government of the United Kingdom, known as the Home Office, found after an internal review recently that the department “lost or destroyed” 114 files concerning allegations of child abuse dating from 1979 to 1999.
The Home Office is responsible for immigration, security, and law and order. As such it is responsible for the police, UK Visas and Immigration, and the Security Service (MI5).
Ministers asked Peter Wanless, head of the National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children, to examine how the Home Office dealt with files alleging abuse from 1979-99. Wanless’ report said it was impossible to say whether files were removed to cover up abuse – but found nothing to support such a claim.
British Conservative politician, and current UK Home Secretary Theresa May, however asserts that there ‘might have been a cover-up.’
Wanless and other investigators had tried to track down the 114 files, but found just one. Another was found shredded by the Ministry of Justice.
“It is … not possible to say whether files were ever removed or destroyed to cover up or hide allegations of organized or systematic child abuse by particular individuals because of the systems then in place. We cannot say that [any] file was removed or destroyed for that reason,” The Wanless report concluded.
The report also revealed a list of names which officials were asked to search under when looking for the missing files – suggesting possible links to a dossier compiled by Tory MP Geoffrey Dickens containing details of Establishment abuses. Dickens says he gave the dossier to then-Home Secretary Leon Brittan in 1983.
He says it included known pedophiles such as Cyril Smith and members of the Pedophile Information Exchange, which campaigned openly to legalize sex with children.
It also featured senior political figures such as former Home Secretary Leon Brittan, Labour peer Lord Janner, and two Tory grandees, Sir Peter Morrison and Sir Peter Hayman, who are both now dead.
Police have questioned Lord Brittan and searched Lord Janner’s home in recent months, but neither has been charged.
In a statement to MPs, Mrs May said of the latest findings: ‘It doesn’t prove or disprove the Home Office acted appropriately in the 1980s.’ She added: ‘There might have been a cover-up.’
The UK Government has denied any dealing with the dossier.
David Cameron has called the allegations a ‘conspiracy theory.’
The Franklin Coverup
Is has been long alleged by conspiracy theorists and investigators alike that there exists a ruthless and highly organized operation in America and around the world dedicated to the coverup and procurement of underage sex slaves for top businessmen and government officials.
Proponents of this theory, like Nebraska State Senator John DeCamp and 30 year, highly decorated FBI special agent in charge and Los Angles Bureau chief Ted Gunderson have astonishingly amassed a mountain of evidence including numerous witness testimonies from victimized children which ultimately led to the criminal and civil prosecutions of government officials and business leaders in what was known as “The Franklin Coverup.”
This was the biggest pedophile scandal in the history of the United States. The story received some newspaper coverage but there was a virtual TV News Media blackout on the subject. For this reason, most Americans have never heard of it.
A Discovery channel documentary made about the events called “Conspiracy of Silence” was set to air May 3, 1994, but at the last minute, an anonymous buyer purchased all rights to the documentary and ordered all copies be destroyed. It never aired on live television.
The documentary, built primarily from the eye witness testimonies of the sexually abused children themselves, exposed a network of religious leaders and Washington politicians who flew children to Washington DC for sex orgies.
A recovered tape of the documentary was made available by Nebraska state senator and attorney John De Camp. I suggest you make the time to watch it: