Cop Charged In Murder Of Pregnant Girlfriend Found In Indonesia By FBI


A Texas officer that fled to Indonesia in the wake of a murder investigation into the death of his 29-year-old pregnant girlfriend Samantha Dean was retrieved and brought back to the States by the FBI last week.

Austin_Police_BadgeOfficer VonTrey Clark, 32, was fired for “insubordination, prohibitive associations, and neglect of duty,” from the Austin police department earlier this year after investigators with Internal Affairs cited him for failing to provide them with penitent financial and communication information, maintaining a “sustained association” with known felons, and ignoring requests to report to superiors on July 18.

Police say they learned Clark boarded a plane for Tokyo before connecting to an additional flight to Jakarta, Indonesia – which does not have an extradition treaty with the United States – in July.

Dean worked as a crimes victim counselor for the Kyle Police Department. She was found with three gunshots wounds to the head behind a shopping center west of Bastrop on Feb. 4.

Clark was initially placed on paid administrative leave after Dean’s body was found, and was ordered to stay home unless he was needed at police headquarters for questioning.

Investigators found that Clark, who is married, maintained an on-again-off-again sexual relationship with Dean for at least six years and believe he was the father of Dean’s unborn child, leading many to think the murder was committed to cover up the evidence of his infidelity.

Adding to suspicion, in a May search of the officers home, documentation was found that indicated Clark had pushed Dean to get an abortion saying he believed if the woman had the child, “his life would be ruined.”

Further implicating Clark, investigators found the officer engaged in a series of calls and text messages with three other individuals, who officials say purchased pre-paid burner phones “for the sole purpose of facilitating the murders of Dean and her unborn child.”

According to APD memos, investigators determined that the last time the phones were used was at the time of the murder in the precise location where Dean’s body was found. Four days later, investigators say, a text message from an additional phone informed an APD civilian employee, “I fucking got her.”

Additionally, interviews with Dean’s co-workers in Kyle revealed that Dean had warned her colleagues that if she ended up dead, “Clark would be to blame.”

An FBI spokesperson said last week that Clark is now locked up in the Bastrop County Jail on two counts of capital murder in the shooting death of Dean and her unborn child thanks to a federal program that repatriates American fugitives from justice.

Clark was arrested July 30th and detained in a Bali jail cell until the FBI’s aircraft could collect him. It departed Austin Aug. 16 flight records show, and after reported mechanical delays that grounded the jet in Guam, agents picked up Clark on September 2.

“When he went to Indonesia, it was a horrible mistake in judgment on his part,” the prosecutor on the case, Bastrop District Attorney Bryan Goertz said. “Whether he’s a runner or a tourist, it was just a stupid thing to do… I’m not saying we were about to arrest him… but now all of a sudden, I’ve got him in Indonesia, and that’s a problem.”

Clark is facing a death sentence if convicted.