A San Antonio police officer accused of holding his wife and children at gunpoint will keep his law enforcement license, as part of a plea deal he received in court last month.
Officer Daniel Lopez, 44, has been on paid administrative leave since his July 2013 arrest.
Bexar County First Assistant District Attorney Woodrow Halstead said Tuesday the office reduced the charges against Lopez after his family members changed their stories about the incident.
“We were left with what was really our only option of pleading to the reduced offense for disorderly conduct,” Halstead said.
Lopez was originally charged with first degree felony aggravated assault with a deadly weapon and two counts of deadly conduct, after he was taken into custody following a dispute inside his home July 4, 2013.
Police at the time said Lopez had struck his wife in the head with a gun, then pointed it at two children inside the home. Lopez eventually surrendered without incident after what was described as a 20-minute standoff with police.
Lopez had already been stripped of his service weapon and placed on administrative duty following a June 2013 incident in which that case, police say he fired a gun at his home.
“There are deeper issues here than someone going off like that,” then-Police Chief William McManus said at the time of Lopez’s arrest.
Lopez was given one day of probation and a $100 fine after pleading “no contest” to a Class C misdemeanor charge of disorderly conduct, according to his plea deal.
The deal struck out any reference to a gun or family violence, meaning Lopez instead pleaded no contest to “making an obscene gesture.” This prevented the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement from suspending his law enforcement license.
Interim Chief Anthony Trevino has several more weeks to decide if Lopez will return to duty with the San Antonio Police Department.
“Based on the evidence I’ve seen in the offense reports, I would have definite concerns about him remaining on the police force,” Halstead said.
Local news coverage: