Three Los Angeles officers who fatally shot an unarmed man during a live-televised car chase in 2013 will not face charges, prosecutors said Monday.
The Dec. 13, 2013 incident began when Los Angeles County sheriff’s deputies tried to pull over 51-year-old National Guard veteran Brian Beaird’s silver Corvette for reckless driving, police say.
After Beaird refused to stop, the officers took chase.
Helicopter footage filmed from the scene shows Beaird’s vehicle collide with another car at a downtown intersection. He exits his car and trots nonchalantly to the passenger side.
The footage shows officers Armando Corral, Leonardo Ortiz, and Michael Ayala open fire on the man 21 times, killing him.
The officers claimed they thought Beaird was reaching for a gun or shooting at them, though video does not show him taking any threatening actions.
Watch the raw footage:
“I find that the tactics utilized by [the officers] substantially and unjustifiably deviated from approved department tactical training, thus requiring a finding of administrative disapproval,” Los Angeles Police Chief Charlie Beck said back in 2013 at the time of the incident.
Prosecutors said Monday that there was “insufficient evidence to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that [the officers] did not act in self-defense and in defense of others.”
Beaird’s family obtained a $5 million civil settlement from the city over the shooting in August of last year.