Troy Goode

Toxicology Report Refutes Overdose Claims In Death Of Man Hogtied By Police

[ssba]

A newly released toxicology report is refuting official claims that the July death of a 30-year-old asthmatic Tennessee man hogtied by police resulted from “dangerous and illegal drugs.”

Attorneys say chemical engineer Troy Goode had been drinking and was traveling home with his wife from a Widespread Panic concert in Mississippi when he reportedly jumped out of the car and ran around outside a shopping center.

Southaven police were called and responded to the 3400 block of Goodman Road at around 7:30 p.m..

Officers aggressively confronted Goode before he opened the door to a K-9 patrol car and let the dog out, witnesses say. They then subdued the man by hogtying and placing him face-down on a stretcher.

Attorneys say witnesses heard Goode screaming that he could not breathe before police arrested him for disorderly conduct and took him to a local hospital.

Goode died around two hours later and is survived by his wife and 15-month-old child.

“They came and found him, and what happened after that, how he ended up at Baptist [Memorial] Hospital, I don’t know,” attorney Tim Edwards said. “I do know that Baptist [hospital] reported to Troy’s mother that he was stable, and less than two hours later they called and said he’d expired.”

Southaven police have not released any other details or comments about the incident but Edwards says he has reason to believe that a bystander recorded video of the incident though he has been unable to recover the footage.

Mayor Darren Musselwhite had previously said “…the facts indicate that [Goode] died from a heart problem likely caused by his decision to use dangerous and illegal drugs” – particularly LSD.

District Attorney John Champion had claimed as much also, and blamed the death on a supposed heart condition the man had – but according to medical professionals that viewed the toxicology report, there is “nothing to indicate that the victim had a prior history of cardiac related illness.”

The report, completed by the Mississippi State Medical Examiner and obtained by the Daily Dot, indicates that at the time of his death, Goode’s blood contained less than half the minimum “threshold toxic dose” of lysergic acid diethylamide (LSD) – about 1.0 ng/mL.

According to a study preformed by Harvard Medical School, an individual who accidentally consumed a dose roughly 70,000 times more than what was found in Goode’s system, “survived with hospital treatment and without residual effects.” Additionally, the study asserts that there have been “no documented human deaths” from LSD.

Supporters of Goode have encouraged people to use the hashtag #ICantBreathe when sharing his story on social media.

The phrase became popular with protesters and police accountability advocates in the wake of the death of another asthmatic man, Eric Garner, who died at the hands of a NYPD choke-hold last year.